Great North of Scotland Railway 'L' class 4-4-0 no. 45A was a Cowan design built by Neilson & Co. in 1876 and subsequently rebuilt in the Pickersgill era but all is not what it immediately seems to be in this picture. No. 45A, by now a LNER class D47/1, is in GNSR livery which the LNER had applied prior to the loco taking part in the 1925 Stockton & Darlington Railway centenary celebrations from the 2nd to the 18th of July 1925 in which this engine took an active role in the cavalcade. This shot was taken at the public exhibition alongside the new Faverdale Works in Darlington and shows that 45A was exhibit number 48. There was a suggestion that it should then be set aside for preservation but it was decided not to do so and withdrawal came with almost indecent haste only 13 days after this exhibition closed.
Note, also, that 45A has been coupled with a four wheeled tender for this event.