SECR tank engines - MikeMorant
Powered by SmugMug Log In

SECR Wainwright enhanced but LCDR Kirtley designed 'R' class 0-4-4T no. 661 in charge of a Down train from Holborn Viaduct approaching Bellingham taken between June 1924 when its condensing gear was removed and July 1925 when its SR livery was applied. The building in the right, background is the Robertsons jam factory with "ALADE" (marmalade) clearly visible.
The headcode disc arrangement (from 1917 onwards) was for Holborn and Greenwich Park through trains, also Bellingham, Bickley and Orpington via the Catford Loop. The concensus of opinion is that the rolling stock comprises former LCDR 2 x 5 car sets of 6 wheelers.
No. 661 would survive into BR ownership and be withdrawn in August 1955 whilst allocated to Dover Marine.
[Gurney Smith / Mike Morant collection]

SECR661GuerneySmith