This picture illustrates the unusual positioning of the signal box high above the long down platform at the western end Bournemouth Central the advantage of which was a clear overview of the connection between the running lines and the shed environs. Drummond M7 0-4-4T no. 40 had been transferred to Bournemouth mpd from Nine Elms in September 1941 and would remain there until April 1951. The livery shown here is plain black with Bulleid's 'sunshine' lettering which means that the shot was taken before its BR number 30040 was applied in March 1950. No. 30040 would spend time at Exmouth Junction and Plymouth Friary before returning to Bournemouth in May 1957 and remaining there until withdrawal in June 1961.
[Mike Morant collection]