LBSCR tank engines - MikeMorant
Powered by SmugMug Log In

Not on the Isle of Wight but very much part of the island's locomotive history. This is Eastleigh in May 1949 and Stroudley A1X terriers W8Freshwater and W13 Carisbrooke have returned to the mainland. Not readily apparent in this shot is that W13 is in malachite livery which it would retain even when renumbered into mainland stock and until BR lined black was applied in Autumn 1952.
W8 became BR 32646 and was withdrawn in 1963 whilst allocated to Eastleigh mpd. Quoted from Wikipedia:" Sold for £750 to Sadler Railcar Company, Droxford. Sold to Brickwoods Brewery, Portsmouth in May 1966. Displayed on a plinth outside the Hayling Billy pub, Hayling Island until June 1979. Donated by Whitbread's {who had taken over Brickwood's) to the Isle of Wight Locomotive Society."
W13 returned to mainland work as BR 32677 at Fratton mpd until being finally withdrawn from service in September 1959 from that same shed although there had been times during her mainland reincarnation that were spent at Ashford of all places.
[Mike Morant collection]

A1XW13DKJ