Isle of Wight - MikeMorant
Powered by SmugMug Log In

The story of this engine brings us to the present day. Stroudley A1 'Terrier' no. 40 Brighton was built in March 1878 by the LBSCR at its Brighton works and was exhibited at the Paris Exhibition in that year gaining a Gold Medal award. In 1902 no. 40 was sold to the Isle of Wight central Railway (IWCR) which numbered it '11'. Rebuilding to A1X standard was implemented in 1918. The Southern railway later applied the name Newport. This shot was taken circa 1928 at Bembridge station and depicts no. W11 awaiting departure for Brading.
The story of W11 continues with repatriation to the mainland in 1947 followed by a period in store at Fratton mpd and then allocation to Ashford where BR branding was applied in May 1951 together with its correct BR number 32640. Allocation to Newhaven followed and after a mass of shed changes 32640 was withdrawn in September 1963 at Brighton mpd but has survived to become a part of the Isle of Wight Steam Railway's fleet at Haven Street.

W11SRA140124