LNER Gresley designed D49/3 'Shire' class 4-4-0 no. 329 Inverness-Shire passes Cowlairs station in 1932. No. 329 was one of six D49's built in 1928 with oscillating-cam operated Lentz poppet valves which wasn't the success that had been hoped for and all were rebuilt in 1938 with conventional slide valves leading to reclassification as D49/1. This example became no. 2725 in the LNER's 1946 renumbering scheme and the BR '6' prefix was added in November 1949 whilst 62725 was allocated to Perth. Reallocation to Stirling took place in October 1953 and there she remained until withdrawal in November 1958.
[Mike Morant collection]