LNER Gresley A1 pacific No. 2563 William Whitelaw with the southbound Flying Scotsman leaving Hadley Wood South tunnel, passing Greenwood Signal Box, out of view to the left.
Some delving into the Yeadon treasure chest reveals that No. 2563 was allocated to Haymarket shed and was used on this service only in 1929, 1930 and 1932.
2563 was renamed Tagalie in 1941 and mechanically enhanced to become an A3 class in 1942. The LNER's 1946 renumbering applied the number 64 which was augmented to become 60064 in July 1949 at which time this was a Haymarket based engine. Transfers to Doncaster in 1950 and Grantham in 1959 followed and it was from the latter that relatively early withdrawal came in September 1961.
[Mike Morant collection]