GNR locomotives - MikeMorant
Powered by SmugMug Log In

Looked at dispassionately one can't help but notice the volume of clag being expelled by this pair of LNER Gresley K2/2 moguls as they draw away from Fort William station circa 1947 with the idyllic backdrop of Loch Linnhe. The pilot engine is 1779 - note the scorched smokebox door - and the named 1772 Loch Lochy is the train engine both of which were allocated to Glasgow's Eastfield shed when this shot was taken. 1779 became BR 61779 in May 1948 and was slightly the longer lived of the two being withdrawn from Keith shed in May 1960 whilst 1772 became 61772 in April 1948 and was withdrawn from Parkhead mpd in November 1959.
[Mike Morant collection]