Former GNR Ivatt C1 class atlantic 4-4-2 no. 3279 was a variant from new in 1904 as it was built as a four cylinder simple expansion locomotive instead of the usual two cylinder standard type. Various rebuilds were implemented by Gresley culminating in a 2-cylinder form which was implemented in 1937. 3279 soldiered on to be renumbered 2808 in 1946 and withdrawal took place at New England shed in February 1948.
The sleeve states that this shot was taken at Potters Bar in 1934. Comments concerning the rake of stock would be appreciated.
[Mike Morant collection]