An eastbound passenger service hauled by 62785 prepares to leave Sudbury station. This Holden-designed E4 was built for the GER at Stratford works in 1895. The 2-4-0 entered GER service as No. 490 in the January and passed into LNER service at the Grouping where it was renumbered 7490. Renumbered to 7802 in November 1942, it was again renumbered by the LNER in 1946 to 2785 and received the 6 prefix at Nationalisation. Withdrawn from 31A, Cambridge shed, during December 1959, this loco has happily been preserved as part of the national collection and is restored to GER livery. It is the only surviving example of this class.
[Mike Morant collection]