The Lauder Light Railway had such a stringent limit on axle loads that the LNER drafted into service a pair of ex-GER Holden J67 0-6-0T's that worked with empty water tanks and permanently attached former NBR tenders. BR no. 68492 (LNER 7329) entered such service in March 1944 whilst no. 68511 (LNER 7399) joined her classmate in the June. Both were allocated to St. Margaret's shed in Edinburgh and remained there until withdrawal for 68492 in June 1956 whilst 68511 lingered until December of the same year.
Both are depicted here in two forms of early BR livery at Galashiels in July 1950. 68492 had been rebranded in June as is clearly evident in this image.
[A. G. Ellis / Mike Morant collection]