Robinson designed A5/2 class 4-6-2T no. 9842 is depicted here with a passenger service between Eaglescliffe and Dinsdale on the Darlington - Saltburn line circa 1947/8. No. 9842 was actually built by Hawthorn Leslie in 1926 under the auspices of Gresley and was allocated to Darlington shed when this shot was taken. BR branding was applied in December 1948 and 69842 spent most of her working life in the NE region with the exception of a few months at Stratford and Neasden in 1951. Withdrawal came in October 1958 at Thornaby mpd.
[Mike Morant collection]