LNER B7 class 4-6-0 no. 5038 was a Robinson designed engine built by Vulcan Foundry entering service as GCR no. 38 in October 1921 and would be renumbered to 5038 by the LNER in March 1924. This shot, location not stated, was taken in 1936 according to the scant sleeve note and 5038 would soldier on to become no. 1702 in the 1946 grand renumbering scheme followed by further renumbering 61702 by BR in May 1949 but to no avail as she was withdrawn at Sheffield Darnall during the following month.
[Mike Morant collection]