Midland Railway Johnson designed inside cylinder 4-4-0 no. 428 at Bedford mpd on August 6th, 1923. Built by Sharp Stewart in 1893 with works no. 3885, no. 428 was originally numbered 2203 but became 428 in the 1907 renumbering scheme. Rebuilt in 1903 and 1905 - with an H class boiler (larger but round top) - 428 wouldn't be further renewed and was withdrawn in April 1927.
[Mike Morant collection]