Diesel locomotive 7051 was built by the Hunslet Engine Company to demonstrate its wares. After public exhibition in February 1932, it was used for trials at a colliery, before being tested by the LMS. After further public exhibition in February 1933, it was at last purchased by the LMS in May 1933. It was loaned to the War Department from August 1940, which numbered it 27. During 1941–1944 it was returned to the LMS, but in August 1944 it returned to the WD, now numbered 70027. After the end of World War 2 it was returned to the LMS, but was withdrawn in December 1945 and resold back to Hunslet. Hunslet used the locomotive as a works shunter, but it was also available for hire, and spent time at oil refineries in Essex and with British Railways. In September 1960 it was preserved by the Middleton Railway in Leeds and named John Alcock. It remains at the Middleton Railway, but has spent time on loan to other locations, including the National Railway Museum, York.
No. 7161 was the second of four Sentinel 0-4-0VBT's built in 1930 and later renumbered to 7181 by the LMS. 7161 was BR branded as 47181 in September 1949 whilst allocated to Sutton Oak mpd and was withdrawn at Shrewsbury mpd in November 1956.
[Mike Morant collection]