GWR other tender engines - MikeMorant
Powered by SmugMug Log In

G. J. Churchward's sole foray into the world of the pacific wheel arrangement was No. 111 The Great Bear waas built at Swindon in 1908 and was obviously not the operational success that had been hoped for. This view shows 111 inside Old Oak Common shed in 1921. The decision was later taken to rebuild 111 into Castle form in 1924 using the same number but with the name changed to Viscount Churchill a picture of which can be viewed elsewhere in this collection.