GWR 4-coupled tender engines - MikeMorant
Powered by SmugMug Log In

The William Dean '7' or Armstrong Class refers to a group of four prototype 4-4-0 double-frame locomotives built at the Swindon Works of the Great Western Railway in 1894 and here we see no. 14 Charles Saunders accompanied by a team of youthful cleaners. Between 1915 and 1923, all four were rebuilt with 6 ft 8½ in (2.04 m) driving wheels and Standard No. 2 boilers, and became members of the Flower class with this example becoming no. 4169 in the newly allocated number series. Life was short, however, as 4169 was withdrawn in July 1930 whilst allocated to Cardiff Canton shed.