An undated view of French railways PLM 4-6-0 no. S 2484 in charge of a Nice to Paris express approaching the station at Juan-Les-Pins. No. 2484 was built by SFCM (Société Française de Constructions Mécaniques) in 1913 and was one of 170 of this class built between 1910 and 1914. This example, no. 2484, has the prefix 'S' which indicates that it is superheated thereby dating it to 1922 or later. They were a development of an earlier class that was fitted with 2.0 m diameter driving wheels whereas this class had wheels of 1.8 m diameter. The one thing we know for certain is that this shot, an original negative by the way, was taken before 1925 when the PLM numbering scheme classified this class as 230 C. It is known that 114 members of this class were still in service in 1948 but all had been withdrawn before 1957.
[E. A. Gurney-Smith / Mike Morant collection]