A pair of South African Railways class NG15 2' 0" gauge 2-8-2 locomotives pause at Hankey station on the branch between Gamtoos and Patensie (off the “Langkloof” line) with a train of sheet-sided fruit wagons in 1990. NG124 – then in green livery and carrying the name “Granny Smith” - had been built by the La Croyère works of Anglo-Franco-Belge [under AFB works number 2671/1950]. Its partner - NG148 -had been supplied by Henschel & Sohn [29589/1957] to the Tsumeb Corporation (South West Africa) as its TC.5 and transferred to SAR upon gauge conversion there. The large capacity tender attached to this class of locomotive, designed for their original duties on the Otavi line of SWA / Namibia, gave rise to the nickname "The Kalaharis".
[A. E. 'Dusty' Durrant / Mike Morant collection]