GWR other tank engines - MikeMorant
Powered by SmugMug Log In

No. 194 was an 0-6-0T ordered by the Taff Vale railway from Kitson in 1884 as one of three engines designed specifically for use on the rope worked incline at Pwllyrhebog a colliery near Tonypandy in the Clydach valley of South Wales. She was originally numbered 142 by the TVR and was subsequently classified as class 'H'. The GWR renumbered her 793 whilst BR applied 194 in 1949. Withdrawal came with the closure of the incline in 1951 and 194 found further service with the NCB but was finally withdrawn in 1954. Her scrapping at Swindon was her only venture beyond the valleys during her entire 70 year working life.
[Mike Morant collection]

194